Saturday, 12 April 2014

Spring Salads | AlexRocksxo



There is no denying that Spring is my favourite time of year, the flowers, the pastel and floral fashions and also the food. As soon as it gets warmer I find myself more attracted to salads and fruit rather than pasta and other more filling dishes. It has finally started to get sunny in England and slightly warmer so I decided to make a healthy lunch in the sun, unfortunately after taking the pictures I realised that it was freezing outside so I got comfy on the sofa and watched the final of The Great British Sewing Bee.


I love vegetarian dishes, I'm not a huge lover of meat and in the Spring I would much prefer a salad. A Nicoise salad is normally made with tuna but I really didn't feel like it so I just made it without it. I soft boiled and peeled 2 eggs and added them onto a bowl of lettuce, cucumber and avocado. I added a little caesar salad dressing over the top so it wasn't completely dry but the runny yolk on the eggs helped bring the salad together. The eggs were warm and runny and oh my they were amazing; a bitch to peel but it was worth it. I love avocado because it is so filling and tastes amazing. If you aren't a fan of veggie dishes this would be lovely with tuna or even some chicken, but for me this was amazing and I definitely will be making it again. 


Like I said before I love fruit in spring, it is so refreshing and is better than eating a bag of wine gums or something. I always find myself snacking throughout the day so making a big fruit salad is good because I know I'm just going to be eating fruit and not a packet of crisps then some sweets then a pork pie. I generally use what we have in the house but today I used strawberries, pineapple, banana and red grapefruit. Everything is very sweet so the grapefruit gives it a little sharpness but also because it is very acidic it stops the other fruit from going brown. 

Both these salads are great for a healthy lunch on your own or you can make more and have a picnic with your friends in the sun (when it decides to warm up). I haven't posted much about food on AlexRocksxo but if you like posts like this let me know in the comments below!

If you want to keep up to date with the world of AlexRocksxo be sure to follow me on all the usual sites. Links are below :-)


                                       Twitter / Flickr / BlogLovin / Tumblr / Instagram


No comments :

Post a Comment